- World First fully artificial rotavirus from cDNA vector.
- Easy to delete, disrupt add any genes at the virus genome.
- Half live vaccine with no risk of proliferation can be developed.
- Generally used for reovirus family viruses.
- Production kit can be transferred.
Background and Technology
Currently there are two attenuated rotavirus vaccine, Rotarix and RotaTeq have been commercialized. However, although not so often, serious side effects intussusception, enfolding of one segment of the intestine within another, happen. Safe vaccine is awaited, but split vaccines or subunit vaccines are not effective enough.
Reverse genetic (RG) system is very useful in terms of research and ultra-safe vaccine development. RG viruses are realized in many kind of viruses including influenza, ebola virus. However, there are no fully artificial rotavirus had been reported. The only artificial rotaviruses are utilized helper viruses and it is not almost impossible to manipulate targeted genes.
The essence of this invention is based on findings that introduction of cell-to-cell fusion protein and vaccinia virus capping enzyme in host cells as transfecting 11-segmented virus genome cDNAs dramatically enhances viral replication.
Using this technology multivalent vaccines, ultra-safe live vaccine, which can only proliferate in specific host cell culture can easily be developed.
Facts and Data
- Complete reverse genetics rotavirus was isolated from rotavirus cDNA-transfected culture
- Several segment genomes were artificially point-mutated, inserted or deleted.
- A gene which is considered to be important for inflammation was artificially disrupted.
- Succeeded in creating luciferase expressing virus.
Patents and Publications
- PNAS, 2017 DOI: 10.1073/pnas.1618424114
Associate Prof. Takeshi Kobayashi, Res. Inst. for Microbial Diseases, Osaka Univ., Japan
We are seeking licensees. Vector kit package can be licensed. Details can be disclosed under CDA.
Product No: TP00629