- New mechanism of action.
- Applicable for other inflammatory skin diseases such as atopic dermatitis.
- Fully synthesizable and low cost compared with antibodies or protein.
- Stable for more than 200 days at 4 degrees C and maintains its activity.
Background & Technology
Mechanisms of psoriasis have not yet been fully elucidated. It is reported that activation of TLR7/8 pathways and produced various inflammatory cytokines (TNF-α, IL-6, etc.) play important role in psoriasis.
Combination ointment containing active vitamin D3 derivative and steroid, or biologic agents (anti-IL-17 antibody or anti IL-12/23 antibody) for reduction of the expression of inflammatory cytokines are currently used. However problems of side effects by steroid or high cost of biologic agents still remains unsolved.
Recent studies revealed that receptor activator of nuclear factor kB (NF-kB) ligand (RANKL) and its receptor (RANK) signal contributes to the suppression of TLR2/4-mediated inflammation. Researchers developed RANKL fragment peptides which eliminate side effect and boost anti-inflammatory effects. They firstly demonstrated the effectiveness of oligopeptide for treating ischemic stroke (https://bionauts.jp/?p=133).
In this study, they newly found that the invented oligopeptide reduces expression of inflammatory cytokines through TLR7/8 signaling pathway. They demonstrated external medication of this oligopeptide can treat psoriasis.
- The oligopeptide external application to imiquimod-induced psoriasis model mice reduced skin disorder (redness, silvery white scales, skin thickening) and ear thickening.
- Comparative experiments of this oligopeptide with approved psoriasis ointment suggest equal or greater effectiveness.
- It confirmed effects of the oligopeptide on TLR 7/8 signaling pathway by using THP-1 (Human Acute Monocytic Leukemia cell lines). The oligopeptide reduced IL-6 and IL-12/23 production in macrophages in vitro assay.
We are seeking company interested in commercial development of the therapeutics. Details can be disclosed under CDA. Oligopeptides are available under MTA.
Product No: TP-00665